Rent a Car in Sao Miguel
Sao Miguel, the largest and most populated island in the Azores, is in the North Atlantic Ocean. Thousands of tourists visit each year to enjoy the natural beauty of this volcanic island. The best way to explore the island of Sao Miguel and its many attractions is to rent a car.
One of the places you can visit with your car rental is Sete Cidades, a small village in the western part of Sao Miguel, Azores. Its lush vegetation and two lakes, one blue and one green, make this place a marvel. The village offers several viewpoints to admire the stunning lakes and surrounding landscape, such as Vista do Rei and Miradouro da Boca do Inferno. You can walk around the edge of two lakes and enjoy the beautiful scenery. The hike is relatively easy because there are well-marked paths.
Drive your car to Furnas, a small town on the eastern side of Sao Miguel, Azores. The city is known for its hot springs, geysers, and tasty traditional food cooked underground in hot volcanic steam. Furnas is known for its cozido, a stew with meat, vegetables, and beans cooked in the volcanic ground. More dishes you should try include alcatra, a beef stew, and lapas, grilled limpets.
Car Hire Sao Miguel
With your car hire, visit Lagoa do Fogo, which means Lake of Fire. It is a stunning crater lake in the center of Sao Miguel, Azores, and it is considered one of the most popular attractions on the island. Lagoa do Fogo offers a mix of outdoor activities, stunning views, and wildlife watching.
Two activities you should try include:
• Birdwatching: Lagoa do Fogo is home to several bird species, including the Azores Bullfinch.
• Photography: Lagoa do Fogo is a photographer's dream. It has beautiful landscapes and a variety of natural elements, which makes it perfect
The island of Sao Miguel has several beautiful botanical gardens where you can enjoy the island's diverse flora and fauna. Some of the most famous botanical gardens you can drive to are Terra Nostra Park and Parque Botânico do Faial da Terra.
• Terra Nostra Park is a beautiful botanical garden in Furnas, famous for its thermal pool, which has a high concentration of iron, giving the water its distinctive orange color. The garden is home to several plant species, including giant ferns, camellias, and azaleas.
• Parque Botânico do Faial da Terra is Located in the southeastern part of the island and is home to several endemic plant species, including the Azores laurel and the Azores blueberry.
Car Rental Sao Miguel Azores Airport
Sao Miguel, Portugal, has several beautiful beaches that offer visitors a mix of natural beauty, activities, and relaxation. When you book a car with Imperial at the Sao Miguel Azores Airport, you can visit these stunning beaches.
Overall, Sao Miguel has a variety of beaches to suit all tastes. Each beach offers its own unique charm and natural beauty, making them all worth a visit. Some of the most well-known beaches in Sao Miguel include:
• Praia dos Mosteiros is located on the island's western side; this beach is known for its stunning rock formations and black sand. The beach is popular with surfers and bodyboarders due to its rough waves.
• Praia de Santa Bárbara is located on the island's northern coast and is known for its rugged beauty and stunning views. The beach has a long stretch of sand and clear waters, making it ideal for swimming and sunbathing.
• Praia da Caloura is on the island's southern coast and is a hidden gem offering a mix of natural beauty and relaxation. The beach has a slight stretch of sand and clear waters, making it ideal for swimming and snorkeling.
What to Eat in São Miguel, Azores?
Sao Miguel, Portugal, has a rich and diverse culinary scene, focusing on fresh seafood, meat, and locally grown vegetables. Here are some of the local dishes you should try when visiting the island:
• Caldo Verde: This is a traditional soup made with potatoes, kale, and chouriço sausage. It is a popular dish throughout Portugal, but each region has variations.
• Espetada: This dish is a skewer made of beef, garlic, and bay leaves. It is popular in Madeira but also served in Sao Miguel.
• Queijadas: These are small, sweet pastries made with cheese, sugar, eggs, and cinnamon. They are a popular dessert throughout Portugal.
• Grilled fish: The Azores are known for their fresh seafood, including octopus, squid, and various types of fish such as tuna, swordfish, and sea bream. Grilled fish is a popular dish in Sao Miguel, often served with boiled potatoes and vegetables.
Options for Hotels in Sao Miguel Azores
The island of Sao Miguel offers a wide range of budget-friendly options for accommodation and cheap vacations. Traveling during the low season (October through March) can be a cost-effective way to visit the island, as accommodation and airfare prices tend to be lower. Here are some of the best and most affordable options for saving money.
• Guesthouses & B&Bs
There are many guesthouses and bed and breakfasts on the island that offer affordable accommodation. Some options include Quinta das Acacias, Casa do Jardim, and Quinta da Abelheira.
• Self-Catering Accommodation
Renting an apartment or holiday home can be a cost-effective way to stay on the island, especially if traveling with a group. Some popular websites for self-catering accommodation include Airbnb, Booking.com, and HomeAway.